The Health, Wellness, and Exercise Science Department offers a major in Athletic Health Care to prepare students for a career in allied health and sports medicine.
- Formal acceptance to Benedictine College; declare Athletic Health Care as an academic major.
- Successful completion of prerequisites: EXSC-2210 First Aid & Personal Safety and EXSC-2263 Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries.
- Current CPR and First Aid certificate. Separate fee may be required.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.75.
- Completion of at least 30 hours of athletic health care observation and a written recommendation for admission to the AHC major from a current Benedictine College certified/licensed athletic trainer or other health care provider.
Both of these requirements will be completed during the ATHC-2212 Beginning Athletic Health Care Practicum.
- Completed application to the AHC major.
- A completed health history and physical exam must be on file with the school nurse.
- Students are responsible for having malpractice insurance. Laboratory fees from the clinical practicum courses will be used to pay for this insurance.
- Students with disabilities can request reasonable accommodations.
- Students must have a reliable source of transportation to travel to off-campus clinical rotations. Students are also responsible for any travel expenses or insurance needs for their source of transportation.
In addition to the above-mentioned requirements for admission, students must meet requirements for continued enrollment.
Transfer students must complete at least 40% of their major course work at Benedictine College to receive a B.A. in Athletic Health Care.